I’ve been asked by a couple of people for the recipe that Sookie uses to make baked potato soup in As it Was Made to Be. As luck would have it, I made the soup last night. Here’s the recipe as near as I can get it since I don’t actually follow one specifically when I make it.
1 package of bacon
1 medium onion, small dice
1/4 c. All-purpose flour
5-7 c. Chicken broth/stock
2-3 c. Sliced Golden Yukon fingerling potatoes
1 c. Whipping cream
1 c. Diced ham (optional)
1 c. Frozen corn (optional)
White Pepper (to taste)
Habanero Hot Sauce (to taste)
Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat a dutch oven on medium heat. Add bacon when pan is hot. Let cook until crispy and set aside.
2. Add flour to bacon grease to form a roux. Let flour cook down for 2 minutes.
3. Add diced onion, white pepper & habanero sauce when the onion becomes translucent.
4. Whisk in chicken stock gradually until desired consistency has been reached.
5. Cover pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Add potato slices and ham, if desired. Taste soup to check seasoning & adjust accordingly.
7. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
8. Check potatoes to see that they’re fork tender.
9. Once potatoes are cooked through add corn (if desired) and whipping cream.
10. Let soup cook for another 15 minutes.
11. Garnish with chives/scallions, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and sour cream. Garnishes optional.
Serves approx. 6-8.